North Willow Glen Neighborhood Association
Word of Faith Church
June 28, 2005
7 – 8 pm
1. Call to Order- Ken Eklund, NWGNA president, 7:15 pm
2. Police Report–Officer Bruce Unger
What's going on in the neighborhood? Officer's report and citizen input
- Gang Violence – we experienced a decrease over the last 6 months but they are noticing a slight increase. The police have increase vehicle and foot patrol – especially in the parks.
- 4 th of July – Fireworks are illegal in San Jose. Having more specific information when reporting illegal fireworks, the police are better prepared to respond.
- Call the police if you hear gun fire, loud firework explosions – even if you don’t know the exact location.
- Homeless issue: it’s not against the law to be homeless – all they can do is encourage people to move along.
3. New. Eilene Willow Glen Resident ; Eugene Bradley, our speaker on transit; Delong Vass – with Eugene; Ryan Hoover – Bay Rail alliance
4. 4 th of July
Everything is on track and running smoothly
5. Santa Clara VTA Riders Union – Eugene Bradley
- Thanks to the following folks for flyer distribution
Chris Wagner, Art, Liz, & Angel Villa, Alan Hall, Gary Jansen, Mary Hall, Heidi LeVell, Dan and Cindy Erceg, Jim Moore, Chuck and Stephanie Hudson, Judi McComak (Double thanks – rallying up volunteers), Annette Boyer (Coffee), Ken and Debbie, Tom
- We’ll also have live music at the event.
- Event is listed at www.northwillowglen.org
- Volunteers still needed on the day of the event – follow up with Jim
- Jamesmoore1421@hotmail.com or call Jim for info 297-0685
- Volunteer, non-partisan organization
- Michael Burns will be new VTA new General Manager.
- VTA Board Member from Willow Glen - Ken Yeager is the Alternative
- With the growth of Willow Glen, public transit will be more important in our community.
- $5.00 daily day pass – no insurance, no parking issues, environmental benefits.
- San Jose Bart extension is in limbo right now. This group is neutral on the topic.
- VTP2030 – long term transportation plan for the area.
6. Newsletter – Thank you Heidi LeVell and Judi McComak
7. Trees in the hood
- 8 people signed up for fall planting
- Trees will be planted in October
8. Illegal tree removal
- Two mature trees were removed on Spencer without permits.
- If a tree reaches a certain size, a permit is required for removal. Even if it’s in your back yard.
9. Neighborhood concerns
Traffic on Atlanta- Very speedy. General discussion on how to manage this on a neighborhood basis versus street basis. It was decided to manage it on a street basis.
10. Future Guests
Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley July
Meting Adjourned at 8:25 pm
Volunteer to help out with the Fourth of July Block Party... see info above.
Connect with neighbors – join the NWGNA e-group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwgna/
And visit our website for updates: http://www.northwillowglen.org