What... a whole week has gone by without a beet recipe? What was I thinking?? Here is one submitted recently by fellow member Lora Wedge, who said she 'found this yummy recipe somewhere on the internet'. She also thanks Live Earth Farm for growing things she has to learn how to cook (such as beets)! Of course if you're getting tired of beet recipes, let me know... - Debbie
Roasted Beet & Orange Salad
(no serving size specified)
2 lbs. fresh beets
vegetable oil spray
4 lettuce leaves
11 oz. can mandarin oranges
1/2 C slivered almonds
fresh mint sprigs for garnish
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. orange juice
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. grated lime zest
1. Toast almonds on a baking sheet at 350 for 5 minutes.
2. Trim all but 1-2 inches of the stems from the beets. Place beets in a single layer in a pan, lightly coated with vegetable spray.
3. Roast beets about 1 hour or until tender and let cool. Rub beets to re-move skins. Coarsely chop them and put into covered bowl.
4. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over beets.
Cover and refrigerate 2-24 hours.
5. When ready to serve, rinse lettuce and oranges.
6. Place the lettuce on a plate. Stir the oranges into the beets, mix and place on the lettuce.
7. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish with mint.
Note from Lora: "I just used the juice from the mandarin oranges instead of orange juice. Also, I didn't have white wine vinegar, mint or almonds. So, I substituted apple cider vinegar and left out the other two things and it was still delicious!"
Just goes to show you how flexible recipes really are! - Debbie